Sunday, April 13, 2008

'94 La Mission Haut Brion

Dinner last night at Je Suis Gourmand was with my wife, my children, sis-in-law, the Doc and Mrs. Doc.

After a well-chilled bottle of the Doc's Cerdon de Bugey Caveau de Mont St. July (perfect for a summer aperitif), we proceeded to appetizers of cheese/onion tart, terrine of foie gras, roasted bone marrow and escargot bourgignonne with a bottle of my '97 Béyer Tokay Pinot Gris Comtes d'Eguisheim.

The night's highlight, though, was clearly the red, the Doc had a bottle of '94 La Mission Haut Brion breathing in a decanter when we arrived. Good thing he did too as I had mistakenly taken along a bottle of '01 Jadot Corton Charlemagne instead of the '99 Jadot Chambolle-Musigny I had really intended (I was rushing out and grabbed the wrong bottle, they look so much alike and were beside each other). We would have been without a red last night had the Doc not taken a vinous pre-emptive strike.

With our main courses:

1994 Château La Mission Haut Brion - darkly reflective deep ruby-red, the Doc asked me to guess what it was. I sniffed deeply in the decanter and in glass: mildly truffled, touches of dried herbs and sweet cedar to its dark cherry/raspberry-laced cassis and dark fruit. Before I could hazard a guess, he showed me the bottle. That was when I decided on a crispy goose leg confit for my main course. In the mouth, the wine had an elegantly lithe, silken medium-body that mirrored its nose with subtle "tarry" undertones and perfect acidity which lent it precise balance. The finish had adequate length.

I thought it was elegant, the fruit was clean, pure and honest, not over-ripe/sweet/pruney or obvious like many these days. I know it sounds trite, but this was truly classic Bordeaux - properly reserved, yet not at all stingy with its charms. Along with Angelus, this is one of the best '94s from Bordeaux I have ever had.

The Doc mentioned to me that Parker gave it a "91". I'm not surprised I liked it so much then. I've mentioned before that, when it comes to Médoc wines, my personal RP "sweet spot" seems to be in the rough range of "87-92". Wines he rates above that, I usually find a tad low on acid and obvious - lacking mystery.

I must mention that the wine was an absolutely wonderful pairing with my goose leg confit. I initially was caught between that and beef cheeks or maybe rack of lamb. The reason why I eventually chose the confit was because I figured the red wine sauce of the beef cheeks and the lamb would draw the spotlight away from the wine, while a simple, hearty, no-sauce confit would graciously allow the wine center-stage for the evening.

I figured correctly, the crisp skin and soft flesh's mild flavors allowed the wine to shine, playing with the savory , earthy cassis/herbs/tar, and the sweetish cherry/red berry notes adding enjoyable contrast and interplay. Memorable meal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My God... that must have been some dinner. I think you're right about the food choice too. With that kind of wine, the sauces would have been too overpowering. Learning a lot from your blog...:-)

Anonymous said...

Again, thanks for the comment.

Yes, good wine needs/deserves center stage. Though from an unheralded vintage, this wine was excellent, as was, as can be seen in my post on "Manila Blind Bordeaux Challenge IX", the '94 Haut-Brion from across the street.

Though many '94 Bordeaux have, at best, been damned by faint praise by many professional reviewers (and i use that term loosely), recent re-tastings have turned out more than a few very pleasant surprises (e.g., '94 Angelus).

This is a happy development because, due to the US market's cool attitude towards the vintage (Bdx), the wines thereof are very reasonably priced.

Best,

Noel

chenlina said...

chenlina20160513
mont blanc
hollister uk
michael kors outlet clearance
hollister outlet
air jordan 8
true religion jeans
ray ban wayfarer
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
cartier watches
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses
longchamp bags
polo outlet
louis vuitton
adidas originals store
louis vuitton outlet
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors uk
tiffany outlet
polo ralph lauren
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet stores
christian louboutin shoes
ray ban sunglasses discount
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton
marc jacobs handbags
hollister clothing
toms outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
ed hardy clothing
ray ban sunglasses
true religion outlet
as