Saturday, November 3, 2007

Best Bistro in Beaune.

There is no lack of good restaurants in and around Beaune. From the Michelin starred Jardin des Remparts, Lameloise, Le Montrachet, Bernard Morillon, etc., and "down the line" in terms of recognition and fame. I do enjoy those kinds of restaurants, but, at the end of the day, I crave good, hearty, simple, honest French country cooking. This Ma Cuisine delivers in spades and consistently.
I first tried Ma Cuisine last year. I ate there twice again this year; and would have done so a third time if time permitted. Last year (June 2006), Jerome Francois, who runs Francois Freres SA (one of the biggest wine barrel manufacturers in France) and whose family hails from Burgundy, told me to make sure to eat there. "The wine makers of Burgundy eat here", said he. That was all I needed.

Ma Cuisine is an unassuming, relatively medium-sized bistro located in the old town of Beaune, owned and run by the spouses Escoffier, Fabienne (the chef) and Pierre (he runs front of the house). They are also most accommodating. Having tried the roast pigeon last year, I was dismayed not to see it on the blackboard when I returned last month. I told Pierre that I came back all the way from Manila just for that. He took a few seconds in the kitchen and returned saying "For you, we will make it!" Fabienne did not disappoint. It was every bit as succulent and richly flavored as I recalled.


Prices are moderate. My favorite dishes there were the sublime truffles and eggs (26Euro), the traditional escargot (around 12Euro for a dozen), the succulent roast pigeon (28Euro) and an excellent veal entrecote (around 28Euro).
The desserts are likewise excellent. Fabienne puts out a table of a handful of freshly baked pies: tart tatin, fig, tart citron, chocolat, etc. I was not able to try the chocolat, but everything else was excellent. The fig pie was the best.

They have their own cellar and it is, as expected, laden with Burgs. Surprising, though, is how deep their cellar is considering how simple the restaurant looks. The very best are there in all the famous vintages one could wish for (or afford). The restaurant displays empty bottles of some wines from its cellar. They speak for themselves.


I love this restaurant. Everyone who visits Beaune should eat here as often as possible.
Addendum: When my wife and I returned to Beaune in October 2007, we had lunch here twice, and it was excellent as ever. Always great meals at Ma Cuisine.

1 comment:

miki said...

0814jejeLes fans de nike air jordan about vêtements Hip Hop aux États-Unis et dans femme nike air max 2017 noir d'autres pays du monde sont pris Asics Gel Lyte 5 Chaussures par la mode Bapes d'assaut. Alternativement, un asics gel france briquet peut devenir très encombrant en air jordan homme paris utilisant un réservoir de carburant important, chaussures running nike free 5.0+ femme bleu ciel essayez d'obtenir un très bon équilibre. Tout basket femme nike sb récemment, Bape sur le compte de nike air jordan noir homme certains avec les artistes communs et asics gel lyte 5 beige rouge les célébrités d'Hollywood a atteint la culture dominante. air max 90 blanche nike