Saturday, November 3, 2007

Pairing Quail, Foie Gras Stew w/ Pinot Gris.

In connection with previous musings on my awakening to pinot gris' pairing versatility, wherein I stated that, until recently, I used to pair those wines only with Chinese and Thai cuisine, I recall my most memorable dish in Alsace. I ate well in Alsace, tried virtually 3 different restaurants per day for 9 days in Metz, Strasbourg, Obernai, Marlenheim, Riquewihr, Ribeauville and Gerardmer. This included, among others, Le Cerf (Marlenheim, **Michelin), Table de Gourmet (Riquewihr, *Michelin), etc. The dish that stuck most in my mind, though, was a simple, hearty peasant dish - a spin on the traditional Baeckeoffe - that used quail and foie gras instead of the usual pork/beef/lamb. Had it in Riquewihr at Le Tire Bouchon. Absolutely excellent, unpretentious, inexpensive and heartwarming on a cold, rainy night.
I would have thought before that this dish would have done better with a pinot noir (not that I found any Alsacien pinot noir I tried to my liking). Luckily, I experimented pairing it with a pinot gris, and it was a wonderful match - exceeding all my expectations. I liked the dish and pairing so much, I returned to the restaurant for an identical meal for my last dinner in Alsace.

No comments: