So 2014 has come and gone, and, though I was too busy to regularly update my blog, that doesn't mean I stopped enjoying wine (albeit, admittedly, I didn't drink as often in 2014 as in past years). Thus, for posterity's sake (and to preempt forgetfulness), the following is a list of the 10 most memorable wines for me in the year past (n.b., all bottles with meals, 5-7 persons per bottle at most, "tasting" pours/portions do not count as far as I'm concerned):
1. 1985 Champagne Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Gold Label Vintage Reserve (in magnum, Clem Nieto's bottle), paired with Cyrille Soenen's rendition of Caviar Demidoff, at Brasserie CiÇou, 20th February 2014.
2. 1983 Domaine Louis Latour Grand Cru Corton Charlemagne (5 bottles throughout 2014, all mine, paired with various dishes involving lobster, foie gras, and scallops). Excellent wine, and not a dud in the whole batch. Those who profess not to appreciate chardonnay likely have never had a wine like this (or have the palate of a yak).
3. 1996 Domaine Coche-Dury Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Les Enseignères (Clem Nieto's bottle), paired with a couple of courses at Tivoli, during a dinner by visiting Michelin starred chef, Richard Toix, 27th February 2014.
4. & 5. 1997 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Grand Cru Musigny (Alex Tiu's bottle), and 1995 Château Lafite Rothschild (Clem Nieto's bottle), during the same dinner immediately above mentioned. Wonderful.
6. 1982 Château Gruaud Larose (Mehdi Tari's bottle), paired with Roasted Suckling Pig during dinner at Fook Lam Moon (the original/main restaurant on Johnston Road, Wanchai), 3rd April 2014. This wine never ceases to impress - I favour it more than all the 1982 first growths I've had.
7. 1997 Domaine Faiveley Grand Cru Corton Clos des Cortons Faiveley (2 bottles in 2014, both mine, both excellent now, and, in my opinion, will improve even more over many years), paired with JC de Terry's Chuletón Vasco at Terry's Pasong Tamo, 21st June 2014.
8. 1983 Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Grand Cru Grands Echezeaux (my bottle), during a surprise birthday party for Alex Tiu at Elbert's Riedel Room, 5th August 2014.
9. 1964 Château Rausan-Ségla (my bottle), during Catha's birthday dinner at Terry's Pasong Tamo, paired with Butter-Roasted Veal Tenderloins with Mashed Potatoes & Petits Pois Carrots, 27th August 2014.
10. 1982 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (Aaron Palileo's bottle), paired with Grilled Lamb Chops during the Usual Suspects' year-end dinner at Mamou Too!, 29th December 2014. Beautiful as ever.
Here's to more great wines and meals in 2015! Until the next!