Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Birthday Non-Wines.

As some may know, I was recently checked-in at MMC for a bad inner ear problem that caused me severe dizziness. My old friend, Doc (Gerry de Jesus), and Dr. Randy Lopa (an excellent ENT referred to me by Gerry) made sure I was well taken care of, all my tests done in immediate, rapid succession, the neurologist attended to my results the next morning and I was out the next evening - right before my birthday.

I'm still suffering from movement-triggered dizziness, but much, much less than before. At least now I can walk around well enough but will still refrain from driving for the next few days.

This considered, and medication demanded I have no alcohol (or caffeine + low salt diet) for 10 days, I cancelled my dinner plans at Terry's 2º Piso and Catha quickly put together a small one at home with my immediate family and the Vecins.

I did open some bottles....there can be no dinner at my house without wine.

With the Steamed Pitiks (Slipper Lobsters):

2008 Bodegas Itsas Mendi Txakoli

With the Roast Racks of Lamb:

1997 Bodegas La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904
1998 Château Cos d'Estournel
1997 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

No notes at all for these wines as I did not drink a single drop. No double espresso to cap the night either - I had a cup of chamomile tea instead. How pathetic is that?

Still and all, I'm happy that I'm getting much better and at least my MRI, X-rays and blood tests came out clean. No wine, but, hey, there are more important things after all. Family, friends - much to give thanks for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

let's open a nice bottle when you're back in the saddle..

gerrydj

Miguel said...

That was a nice night..loved the 'Pitik' with the Txakoli.

Noel said...

@ gerrydj - If those are doctor's orders, who am I to say "no"?

@ Miguel - Glad you and Ria made it at spur-of-the-moment's notice, buddy.

Best to you both,

N